Granada airport is 15 Km away from the city on the Seville road and is connected by bus to the city centre. There are regular flights and the area is also well connected with Almeria airport.
The cities of Granada and Almeria are connected by train but there are no trains to the Sierra. Until 1974 there was a romantic ‘Sierra tram’ that travelled through the Genil valley passing through the now abandoned towns of Canales and Güejar Sierra. Granada Train Station: tel.958271272. Almeria Train Station: tel.950251135.
Between the ‘Alpujarras’ and the ‘Marquesado’, there are small roads by which you reach Sierra Nevada from the capital by bus.
* Autedia Company. Tel: 958 153636 (Granada). This bus line goes to Marquesado, (on the northern side of Granada).
*Etnacar Company. Tel: 950 221784 (Almeria). This bus line goes to the ‘Tres Villas’ and the Almerian Alpujarras, (northeast, east and southeast faces).
*Alsina Graells Company. Tel: 958 185010 (Granada) and Tel: 950 235 168 (Almería). This bus line goes to the Alpujarras (southern side).
*Bonal Company. Tel: 958 273100 (Granada). This bus line goes to the ski resort.
*Linan Company. Tel: 958263725 (Granada). This bus line goes to Güejar Sierra.
To get from Granada to Almeria you must border Sierra Nevada either going north on the A-92 and N-324 or going south to the sea shore on the Mediterranean motorway and the N-340.
To get to the Alpujarras from Granada you have to take the N-323 to get on to the A-348, which connects to Órgiva. Along the coast, the access is via the N-340 to Motril, where you take the above mentioned N-323.
The Alpujarras is accessed by three primary routes: the Granada-Motril road (N.323)
* From Granada, passing through Padul, Dúrcal and Lecrín, turning at "Venta de Las Angustias" towards Lanjaron.
* From Motril, at Vélez deBenaudalla turn towards Orgiva
on the Murcia-Almeria road. (N.324)
Deviation to La Calahorra to Laroles -Almeria Road (Coast)
* From the Costa del Sol passing through Almuñecar, Salobreña, Castell de Ferro, turning at Rábita for Albuñol.
* From Almeria, turn at Adra for Berja and Ugíjar.
Going from Granada to Guadix and then crossing the Ragua Pass to reach Laroles.